Service Dogs and Cats One of the best known applications of living animals to assist the ill or physically-challenged is the use of guide dogs (“seeing eye dogs”). Guide dogs are often overlooked as a biotherapeutic modality, probably because they are so well-accepted in our society, and within modern medicine. Further information will be added to this page over the next several months. Since there are many great sources of information available, and since the needs to develop new educational programs and infrastructure in this area are relatively small, only the basic information will be presented here. Here are a few sites at which you can find information about seeing eye dogs (if you have additional links to suggest, please contact us):
- The Seeing Eye, Inc. P.O.Box 375 Morristown, NJ 07963-0375
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind 611 Granite Springs Road Yorktown Heights, NY 10598 Phone: 800-942-0149
- Service Dog Trainers database, maintained by Wolfpacks.com.
- 5 ways Service Dogs help people with cancer
- How Service Dogs help people with diabetes