Past & Published Research
Research is an important goal of the BTER Foundation. This is evident from the number of projects published by, or with financial or material support by, the BTER Foundation and its Board of Directors. A large percentage of research conducted or supported by the BTER Foundation is published in peer-reviewed journals or presented at national conferences. A few of these include the following:
- Sherman RA: Cohort study of maggot therapy for treating diabetic foot ulcers. Diabetes Care 2003; 26(2):446-51.
- Martini RK, Sherman RA: Terapia de desbridamento com larvas. Jornal Brasileiro de Medicina. 2003; 85(4):82-85.
- Figueroa MG, Lugo M, Uzcanga M, Rodríguez D, Sequera L, Sherman R, Arrivillaga J. Aplicacion de bioterapia larval (BL) con larvas de moscas de Lucilia sericata (Meigen 1962) sobre un paciente con podopatia diabetica. 18th Venezuelan Congress of Entomology; July 1-4, 2003. Maracay, Venezuela.
- Sherman RA, Shimoda KJ: Presurgical maggot debridement of soft tissue wounds is associated with decreased rates of postoperative infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 39:1067-70.
- Fleischmann W, Grassberger M, Sherman RA: Maggot - Assisted Wound Healing. A Handbook of Maggot Therapy. Thieme. 2004. Translated into Japanese (2006) and Korean (2008).
- Sherman RA: Insects in Medicine. In: Cardé RT & Resh VH, eds, Encyclopedia of Insects. Academic Press. 1st Edition, 2003; 2nd Edition, 2009.
- Nguyen H, Sherman RA: Adverse Events Associated with Maggot Therapy - Phase 4 Post-Marketing Study. Clinical Symposium on Advances in Skin and Wound Care; 9/28 - 10/01/06; Orlando, FL.
- Sherman RA, Nguyen, H, Sullivan R, Mendez S, Carmean M: Why not maggots? Factors affecting therapists' decisions about using maggot debridement therapy. 20th Annual Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, and Wound Healing Society Meeting; 4/28 - 5/1/2007; Tampa, FL.
- Sherman RA, Mendez S, Alim M. Singh S: Pain-Free MDT? An in-vitro Evaluation of the Effects of Lidocaine on maggot debridement. Symposium on Advanced Wound Care; San Diego; April 25-27, 2008.
- Sherman RA, Stevens H, Ng D, Iversen E. Treating wounds in small animals with maggot debridement therapy - A survey of practitioners. The Veterinary Journal 2007; 173(1):138-43.
- Sherman RA, Morrison S, Ng, D. Maggot debridement therapy for serious horse wounds - A survey of practitioners. The Veterinary Journal. 2007; 174(1):86-91.
- Sherman RA, Shapiro CE, Yang, RM. Maggot debridement in surgical wound care - uncommon and off-label applications. Advances in Skin and Wound Care. 2007; 20:602-10.
- Sherman RA. New and Improved Maggot Therapy for the 21st Century. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 2009; 3(2):336-44.